27 February 2009
Initiated and financed by infoDev, the Global Working Group on Youth & Innovation already comprises more than 20 experts from infoDev's Global Network of Business Incubators, committed to fostering youth entrepreneurship within the broader context of innovation and business incubation. Read the Working Group's first activity update. Global Network members are welcome to join!
Global Working Group on Youth & Innovation, Newsletter #1, Feb 2009.pdf
Many of the poorest developing countries have very young populations with high unemployment rates even for secondary and tertiary level graduates. Entrepreneurial talent can be identified among the youth, and business incubation is one mechanism through which entrepreneurial youth can receive the necessary support to start a business. Youth-focused business incubation presents significant challenges due to the inexperience of the entrepreneurs, and the entrepreneurs' lack of resources to start and manage a business.
infoDev's Global Working Group on youth focused business incubation aims to outline the challenges and opportunities for youth focused business incubation, with the following project objectives:
- Setting up the infrastructure and project management of the working group
- Regional research and knowledge generation on challenges youth is facing in the entrepreneurship and innovation sector, good practice and methodologies of youth business incubation
- Initiation of projects and activities in the youth and innovation area
- Strategic planning of the working group development beyond year 1
- Creating a Database “Youth Oriented Incubation Organizations”: Information and investigation at regional levels
- Utilizing the virtual platform on www.idisc.net for knowledge exchange and communication
- Participating at the 3rd infoDev Global Forum on Innovation and Business Incubation, and presentation and outreach of the working group
- Knowledge dissemination among stakeholders
The Global Working Group on Youth & Innovation is managed by Mr. Radu Big, CEO of Business Incubator Center Baia Mare in Romania, a member of infoDev's Global Network of Business Incubators. If you are interested in joining the Working Group, please contact Radu Big by e-mail at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
In addition to Radu, six Regional Coordinators within the Working Group facilitate regional communication and outreach across Africa, Asia, East & South Europe, Latin America & the Caribbean, and the Middle East & North Africa. Contact details for Regional Coordinators are listed in the attached newsletter.