12 August 2010
infoDev is seeking a short term consultant (STC) to assist the project management team with planning and implementing the 4th Global Forum on Innovation and Technology Entrepreneurship to be held in Helsinki, Finland on May 30-June 3, 2011.
infoDev (www.infodev.org) is a research, capacity building and advisory program, coordinated and served by an expert Secretariat housed in the World Bank Group. It helps developing countries and their international partners use innovation and information and communication technologies (ICT) effectively as tools for poverty reduction and sustainable social and economic development. infoDev is a thought leader in technology-enabled small business incubation. infoDev’s global incubation network reaches more than 300 business incubators, more than 20,000 small and medium enterprises and has helped create over 200,000 jobs across 87 developing countries.
From 2010-2012, infoDev will implement an ambitious program entitled “Creating Sustainable Businesses in the Knowledge Economy”. This program, jointly organized by infoDev, the Government of Finland and Nokia, will undertake a range of activities focused primarily on the ICT and Agribusiness sectors. The program includes establishing regional mobile applications laboratories; linking mobile entrepreneurs via social networking; using business incubation initiatives to stimulate small business creation; assisting small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) to seek new markets overseas; ensuring that SMEs have appropriate access to finance; and starting international working groups for ICT and agribusiness entrepreneurs and incubators. A key deliverable under this program is also infoDev’s 4th Global Forum on Innovation and Technology Entrepreneurship, which will be held in Helsinki, Finland from May 30th to June 3rd, 2011.
The Global Forum on Innovation and Technology Entrepreneurship is organized every two years, and is one of infoDev’s flagship events. It convenes infoDev’s global innovation and technology entrepreneurship community to share knowledge and establish partnerships that serve to accelerate the start-up and growth of innovative enterprises in developing countries. More than 400 participants from more than 60 countries typically attend these events, representing business incubators, entrepreneurs, financiers, policymakers and development institutions. The first two Global Forums were held in India (New Delhi 2004 and Hyderabad 2006), and the 3rd Global Forum was held in Florianopolis, Brazil on October 26-30, 2009. More details about the 3rd Global Forum can be found here http://www.infodev.org/en/Topic.20.html .
This position is one of a number of short- and extended-term consultant positions that are being recruited specifically for the “Creating Sustainable Businesses” program. The project management team includes the infoDev Program Manager, a Task Team Leader (TTL), an Operations Officer and a Program Analyst. The Program Manager will provide on-going strategic guidance and oversee relations with the donors. The TTL will have overall responsibility for the successful implementation of the program. The Operations Officer will coordinate the work of the program on a day-to-day basis with the assistance of the Program Analyst. In addition, the other staff of infoDev, including business incubation, communications, financial management, administrative, operations and procurement specialists, will assist the team.
duties and accountabilities
infoDev is seeking a short term consultant (STC) to assist the project management team with planning and implementing the 4th Global Forum on Innovation and Technology Entrepreneurship. The STC will report to the TTL and will work closely with infoDev team members on the planning and implementation of the Global Forum.
Core objectives for the 4th Global Forum on Innovation and Technology Entrepreneurship include:
1. Facilitating south-south and south-north business linkages between technology entrepreneurs
2. Increasing the awareness and know-how of government stakeholders in terms of the policies and government support programs that enable technology entrepreneurship
3. Enhancing the know-how and know-who of business incubation professionals through delivery of training and interactive workshops
4. Engaging financiers in creative thinking around innovative financing instruments for technology entrepreneurs
All four objectives are directly linked to deliverables under the “Creating Sustainable Businesses” program, including the SME Internationalization Program, the various country-level projects to help build the capacity of developing country policymakers and business incubation stakeholders, and access to finance projects – particularly in Africa and Asia. The STC will therefore be working closely with the TTLs for these respective projects to ensure that the 4th Global Forum achieves its objectives.
Thematically, the 4th Global Forum on Innovation and Technology Entrepreneurship will include an SME Fair, a Policy-maker Roundtable, Incubation Training and various deep-dive discussions and workshops.
The STC will be responsible for task managing the planning and execution of the 4th Global Forum on Innovation and Technology Entrepreneurship. Specifically, the STC will:
1. Develop the agenda in collaboration with Finnish stakeholders, and in consultation with infoDev’s global innovation and entrepreneurship community;
2. Lead the design of the format for the event. infoDev emphasizes a highly interactive format of its events. The emphasis is not on speeches, but on engaging participants in a dialogue that facilitates sharing of lessons and ideas, and prepares the ground for international partnerships;
3. Lead the development of a sponsorship program and, in coordination with Finnish stakeholders, secure sponsors for the Global Forum;
4. Secure key speakers and moderators for the various sessions;
5. In collaboration with infoDev’s Communications Officer and Finnish stakeholders, develop and execute a communications program for the event;
6. Manage the contracts with the event management firm and any other firms hired for the planning and execution of the Global Forum (e.g. for publications and marketing materials);
7. Prepare and monitor the Global Forum budget;
8. Ensure integration of all knowledge outputs into infoDev’s existing work, such as its Business Incubation Manager Training curriculum and iDisc (www.idisc.net), infoDev’s web-based toolkit and networking site for business incubator managers;
9. Assist the Program Manager with securing the host of the 5th Global Forum, and advise infoDev on its future strategy with respect to the Global Forum;
10. Oversee the event follow-up, including the completion of the Global Forum report which will highlight key outcomes from the event, as well as prepare a post-event report on lessons learned and opportunities for improving the design and implementation of the next Forum.
- Excellent project management skills and demonstrated experience in organizing high-level international events;
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills, and experience working with a variety of stakeholders, including senior government officials and private sector representatives;
- A Masters degree or higher in a relevant discipline;
- Sound knowledge of enterprise development in developing countries;
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and work independently with limited supervision;
- Experience of working in a multicultural team and proven ability to build relationships with project partners;
- Excellent abilities in the use of ICTs, especially for project management, web development and remote communication;
- Fluency in English is required and additional language skills are a plus;
- A minimum of five years relevant professional work experience.
Duration of Assignment
The position is for 150 days starting as soon as possible, but no later than October 15, 2010.
This position is based in Washington, DC and will require travel.
Please submit your CV and cover letter to Samiha Boulos at email@example.com. Make sure to write the following on your Subject line: "STC - Task Manager, Global Forum on Innovation and Entrepreneurship".
The deadline to apply is September 1, 2010, 11:59 PM.